Originally known as the Businessman’s Commercial Club, the Ennis Chamber of Commerce was organized before 1900 and was very active in the new thriving city of Ennis. On July 16, 1918, the club incorporated and changed their name to the Ennis Chamber of Commerce. The first elected officers include, J. H. Henderson, J. R. McMurray, Fred A. Newton and P. C. Matthews.
The purpose and objectives of this group set out over ninety years ago was to provide and maintain suitable rooms for the conduct of their business and to establish and maintain uniformity in the commercial usage of the city. They were also to acquire, preserve and disseminate valuable business information and to promote the interests of trade and increase facilities of commercial transactions.
Today’s chamber Mission is strikingly similar: “Working together to improve, grow, to promote the economic, business, civic and cultural well-being of our community.” A membership base is built from the local business community whose goal is to further the interests of businesses. They elect a board of directors or executive council to set policy for the chamber. The board then hires a President/CEO to run the organization.
The chamber office is located at 108 Chamber of Commerce Drive, just off Interstate 45 at Exit 251B. Mailing address for the Ennis Chamber is Post Office Box 1177, Ennis, TX 75120, 972-878-2625